For sharing videos or advertising, there exists no other platform as rewarding as YouTube on the planet now. There has never been a website in the past decade that gives us opportunities to become popular overnight and make money online by just uploading videos.
Video marketing dominates the content marketing industry today. YouTube, the pioneer video sharing platform and the second largest search engine, experienced a 4.9% growth rate in 2021 according to SEMrush statistics. In 2022, the number of YouTube viewers is expected to hit 210 million in the US alone! As videos continue to impress and engage customers, we are anticipating some amazing things from YouTube in 2022.
Features introduced by the platform in 2021 such as Shorts, Live streaming, Chapters, Premieres and Community Tab encourage content creation and will certainly attract more users. As 2022 progresses, we are definitely seeing a positive rise in the number of YouTube users and subscribers. The likes and shares received by the diverse content uploaded on this platform is astounding. Let us explore the YouTube user statistics for 2022 and try to gauge its relevance in present times.
- Interesting YouTube Statistics
- Basic Facts About YouTube
- The Second Most Popular Social Media Platform in 2022
- Daily Active Users on YouTube
- Monthly Active Users on YouTube
- YouTube Users by Year
- YouTube User Engagement
- YouTube Demographics
- YouTube Users by Country in 2022
- YouTube Penetration
- Mobile YouTube Statistics
- Top 10 YouTube Channels Revenue
- Top 5 YouTube Channels
- Top 5 YouTube Celebrities
- Frequently Asked Questions
Interesting YouTube Statistics
- According to Statista 2022, over 2.6 billion people worldwide use YouTube once a month.
- India has the most YouTube users in 2022, estimated at 467 million.
- Technically, YouTube is the second-largest search engine, after Google.
- YouTube’s global advertising revenues in 2021 were estimated to be around $28.84 billion.
- With 213 million subscribers, T-Series is the most subscribed YouTube channel.
- Ryan’s World YouTube channel generated the most revenue in 2020 (29 million subscribers).
- In 2021, YouTube Premium and YouTube Music together have more than 50 million subscribers around the world.
- YouTube is the second most popular social media platform.
- Every day, people watch over a billion hours of video and generate billions of views.
- Most YouTube users fall in the age group of 15-35.
- More than 70% of YouTube watch time comes from mobile devices.
- The male-female ratio of YouTube viewers is 11:9.
- The top genre watched by YouTube users is comedy (77% users).
- In 2020, the biggest advertiser on YouTube was Apple Inc, having spent $237.15 million.
- YouTube accounts for around 25% of global mobile traffic.
- With 74% of adult users, YouTube is the most popular online platform in the US.
- 80% of parents in the US, with children aged 11 or under, say their child watches YouTube videos.
- The percentage of OTT watchers consuming YouTube content is 94.5%.
- 16.4% of YouTube traffic comes from the US, 9.2% from India, and 4.8% from Japan.
- An average YouTube visitor checks nearly nine pages per day.
- In 2020, viewers spent 100 billion hours watching gaming content on YouTube.
- 72% of people used YouTube to consume fitness content in 2020.
- YouTube is the most used social platform for research purposes among B2B decision-makers with 50.9% users.
- As of 2022, YouTube has more than 51 million active channels.
- There are more than a hundred local versions of YouTube in over 80 languages.
- Of the top 100 searches on YouTube, 20% are related to music.
- 6% of Google’s ad revenues are created from YouTube.
- YouTube is the second most popular platform for influencer marketing.
Here’s an infographic narrating the overall user statistics, mobile user statistics and user demographics of YouTube to help you make an intelligent decision.
Basic Facts About YouTube
YouTube has been a part of our lives since 2005, entertaining us with videos, ranging from web series to news, product reviews, music, movies, how-to videos, unboxing and vlogs, uploaded by individuals and organizations from various corners of the world.
In the year 2006, Google bought it from its founding fathers, Jawed Karim, Steve Chen and Chad Hurley for a whopping $1.65 billion.
Now, a decade and a half later, with 2.6 billion users, this video sharing site is the second most visited website after Google and holds a second position in Alexa’s global ranking of websites.
YouTube – The Second Most Popular Social Media Platform in 2022
When it comes to popularity, as a social media platform, YouTube ranks second and Facebook, first.
Check out the list of social platforms popular in 2022.
Daily Active Users on YouTube
Daily active users means the number of YouTube users on any given day. These figures help us know how many people access YouTube daily as part of their routine.
- YouTube has over 122 million active users daily.
- 1 billion hours of content is watched across the world every day.
- 62% of YouTube users in the USA access the platform on a daily basis.
- Every minute, more than 500 hours of new content is uploaded into YouTube.
- On average, a visitor spends 14 minutes and 21 seconds on YouTube every day.
Monthly Active Users on YouTube
Monthly active users means the number of YouTube users in a given month. Since only the logged-in users are counted, the actual figures can be higher.
- YouTube has more than 2.6 billion active users.
- YouTube Premium and Music together have more than 50 million subscribers in the world.
- More than ¼ of the world’s population use YouTube every month.
- Around half of the internet users around the world has access to YouTube.
YouTube Users by Year
Today, YouTube has taken the center stage as the main personal entertainment medium. YouTube users have been increasing by leaps and bounds since its launch, for reasons known and unknown. However, simply put, variety is the spice of life for consumers and YouTube rightly provides that. Take a look at the year-on-year YouTube user growth.
- From 0.8 billion in 2012 to 2.6 billion in 2021, YouTube user growth has been tremendous in the last decade. A total of 1.8 billion new users were added to the YouTube user list.
- YouTube content is currently viewed by more than 2.6 billion people.
YouTube User Engagement
User engagement on YouTube is reportedly high when compared to other websites like Facebook, Twitter and video streaming sites like Netflix. YouTube users consume over 1 billion hours of videos daily, which roughly equates to 5 billion videos. According to estimates, a user sticks to the platform for about 11 minutes and 24 seconds on average.
Looking at the frequency and volume of uploads, over 500 hours of video uploads happen every single minute on YouTube. This makes the platform a warehouse of videos with more than 5 billion videos shared so far. Every single visit that happens on YouTube is counted as 6.95 page views approximately.
YouTube is quite democratic in the sense that it offers its visitors the freedom to express their ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’ for videos uploaded. The video that has garnered the most number of ‘likes’ so far is “Despacito” while “YouTube Rewind 2018: Everyone Controls Rewind” bags the credit of being the most-disliked video ever on the platform.
By the way, “Me at the zoo” was the first video that appeared on YouTube and it was uploaded in 2005.
YouTube is home to all types of content. From tech news to entertainment and housekeeping ideas– you can find them all on YouTube. As a result, the user demographics of YouTube is diverse. Let’s break down the user demographics by age and gender to get a better idea of its popularity.
YouTube Gender Demographics
Considering the gender of the users, YouTube is more popular with men than women. Male users amount to 53.9% of the YouTube viewing population, while female users account for only 46.1% of visitors.
YouTube Age Demographics
According to the US internet population statistics, the 18-25 year age category makes up the largest visitor base of YouTube with 81%, followed by 26-35 years with 71%. 36-45 and 46-55 age groups come in third and fourth positions with 67% and 66% users respectively. The last place being given to the 56 year and upwards category with 58% visitors.
YouTube Users by Country in 2022
With local versions available in over 91 countries and 80 different language options to choose from, YouTube is the number one video-sharing platform in the world with more than 95% of the internet population using it.
We saw the different stats of YouTube users across the world. Now, while looking at the number of YouTube users by country, it is evident that India tops the list. In India, around 467 million users are active on YouTube every hour, according to 2022 statistics.
With 240 million users, the USA has the next largest user base for the platform. The other three countries that found a place in the 2022 top 10 list are Indonesia (third), Brazil (fourth), and Russia (fifth). Japan comes in sixth place with more than 93 million users. Mexico has the seventh rank with 74.1 million users, followed by Germany in eighth place with 66 million users. Pakistan holds ninth place and Vietnam tenth place with 55.7 million and 54.2 million users respectively.
While looking at the top-performing countries, you can easily identify global diversity. All these countries saw a massive increase in users since 2013. Considering the gender of YouTube users, 53.9% of users in 2022 are males while females constitute only 46.1%.
|Country||Users (Data as of January 2022)|
According to 2022 YouTube statistics, Netherlands has the highest YouTube penetration with 95% of the population using the platform.
Here is a list of the top 10 countries with the highest YouTube penetration in 2022:
Mobile YouTube Statistics
YouTube has become one of the most favorite platforms for watching interesting videos on the go. Almost every mobile phone (and browser) has got a YouTube application to keep their users engaged. Today, more than 70% of users access YouTube on their mobile devices. This is facilitated by the YouTube app, which, as of Dec 2018, has been installed on over 5 billion Android devices.
There are more than 1 billion mobile YouTube views happening every day and an average mobile YouTube viewing session spans more than 45 mins.
Top 10 YouTube Channels Revenue
YouTube offers a share of its advertising revenue to its content creators (or YouTubers). So, if you have interesting YouTube video ideas, know how to wield camera, and use YouTube video editing software, it is pretty easy to make money online with YouTube. There are hundreds of thousands of professional YouTubers today, earning a decent income from their channels. Here, we look at the top ten highest-grossing YouTube channels of 2020. (2022 data is not available, we will update it as soon as we get it).
|#1||Ryan’s World||$29.5 Million|
|#2||Mr Beast||$24 Million|
|#3||Dude Perfect||$23 Million|
|#4||Rhett and Link||$20 Million|
|#7||Like Nastya||$18.5 Million|
|#9||David Dobrik||$15.5 Million|
|#10||Jeffree Star||$15 Million|
Top 5 YouTube Channels
There are hundreds of thousands of YouTube channels created by both individuals and brands. Based on their subscriber following, the channel that comes first is T-Series (213 Million). YouTube Movies secures the second place with 150 Million subscribers, followed by Cocomelon with 133 Million subscribers. Set India takes the fourth position amassing 131 Million subscribers and Music channel, the fifth with 116 Million subscribers.
|Channels||Subscribers (Data as of April 2022)|
|YouTube Movies||150 Million|
|Cocomelon – Nursery Rhymes||133 Million|
|SET India||131 Million|
Top 5 YouTube Celebrities
YouTube has helped many a celebrity to grow and identify their fan base. The top five among them are Canal Kondzilla, a music video director from Brazil. He ranks top with 54,000,000 subscribers and 27,683,764,917 video views. Justin Bieber, the Canadian-born singer, is the next popular celebrity on the platform with 33,100,000 subscribers and 19,278,046,786 video views.
Ed Sheeran of the “Shape of You” fame, comes in third with 43,000,000 subscribers and 19,278,046,786 video views. The fourth place is occupied by Katy Perry, the California-based singer, with 25,800,000 subscribers and 18,536,223,660 video views. The fifth-place again goes to another singer from Pennsylvania, Tailor Swift with 27,000,000 subscribers and 18,024,520,390 video views.
Now, coming back to the question…should you be using YouTube to market your business? Of course, it’s an emphatic yes! When studies say that 95% of internet users watch YouTube, you’re missing out on incredible opportunities if you don’t include video marketing in your digital marketing mix.
Recent research also reveals that YouTube has compelled 6 out of 10 people to give up TV shows, it’s time to jump on the YouTube wagon. Build your video marketing strategy with us. Video production and YouTube advertising are two of our fortes and we’ve been offering these niche services ever since we discovered their enormous potential for business growth. As a digital marketing agency operating in Dubai for more than 21 years, we can assure you that YouTube can help your brand build a solid presence online. If you need help with anything related to YouTube, let us know. Not only for YouTube, but you can also seek our assistance in areas such as web design services, SEO services, web development, ecommerce web development and analytics.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many videos are on YouTube in 2022?
In 2022, YouTube has hosted over 694 hours of video spread across 800 million videos. These videos are shown among the 37 million channels on this platform.
2. What Youtuber has the most subscribers in 2022?
T-Series, a musical network in India, has the highest number of subscribers in 2022. 213 million YouTube viewers follow this channel. It is followed by YouTube movies with 150 million subscribers.
3. Which is the longest video on YouTube?
The longest YouTube video which totals 571 hours, 1 minute and 41 seconds has been created by Jonathan Harchick. It consists of a slide show that shows photographs of Harchik’s trip to Chile.