August 17th, 2021 at 07:41am
The UAE’s digital landscape has witnessed a complete transformation in the last two decades. The country has become the most digital-friendly country in the Middle East by creating a favorable environment for digital innovators. The UAE ranks top among other countries in terms of internet usage, Covid-19 further boosted it. In the period of 2020 to 2021, there was around a 2% increase in Internet usage in the country.
UAE’s love for digital is reflected in the large-scale adoption of digital technologies by its population. In 2021, the UAE population is almost 10 million, and a whopping 99% of the people are active internet users.
See the infographic to find out the latest Population, Internet, Social & Mobile Statistics of UAE.
Click to copy the code below to display this Image on your Blog or Website
Internet Users in the United Arab Emirates
- Internet penetration in the UAE is 99%
- 9.26 million people use mobile devices to access the internet, which is around 93% of the population.
- On average, people in the UAE between the age group of 16 to 64 spend 7.5 hours every day using the internet.
- Daily time daily internet users in the age of 16 to 64 spend about 3 hours on social media sites.
- There are 9.89 million active social media users in the UAE.
Devices Preferred By Emiratis to Access the Internet
Online marketing has great scope in the UAE due to the high number of mobile internet users. So, any new and innovative apps looking to enter this market will have a large user base. As a result, the last few years witnessed an increased focus on the digital service sector.
- A whopping 9.26 million UAE citizens are active mobile internet users.
- Both hardware and software sectors are ripe with opportunities.
- The increased innovation in the hardware field led to the rise of super-fast internet connections, which boosted social media usage.
- People prefer to access social media on their phones, reflecting on the trend of increased smartphone usage.
- The massive increase in mobile internet usage can be attributed to the availability of 4G at lower price plans.
- 56% of users connect to the internet using smartphones, 41.48% use computers and 2.22% use tablets.
Average Internet Connection Speed in the UAE
The most preferred mode of connecting to the internet in UAE is smartphones, with more than 56% users.
A reason for this could be the high-speed mobile internet connections. The avg. mobile internet speeds come close to 90 Mbps, which competes with avg. broadband speed of 100 Mbps.
Frequency of Internet Usage
- 93% of Emiratis access the internet at least once a day.
- 6% use the internet once a week.
- 1% of people use it only once a month.
Top Websites in the United Arab Emirates
Top 3 Search Engines
Google is the most used search engine in the UAE and is used by 95% of people. The search engine giant is followed by Bing and Yahoo with very low market shares.
Top 3 Social Media Platforms
While almost 99% of the population of the UAE are active social media users, Facebook is the most popular platform, closely followed by Instagram and Twitter in the second and third places respectively.
Top 3 Shopping Portals
Covid-19 has given a major boost to online shopping in the UAE. While the global giant Amazon tops the list of the top three shopping portals in the country, Noon ranks second and Carefree holds the third spot.
Top 3 Video Platforms
UAE has a rapidly growing list of online video platforms. Among them, YouTube is used by most people, while Netflix and Dailymotion secures second and third spots.
Top 3 News Websites
There is stiff competition in the UAE’s media industry. At the same time, Khaleejtimes holds the top spot as an undisputed leader. Gulfnews and Yahoo News occupy the remaining two spots.
Share of Web Traffic by Browser
- Google Chrome has the most traffic – a whopping 64%.
- Safari browser, which comes second only has 19.40% traffic.
- Samsung Internet comes third with a mere 3.60% traffic.
- Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Firefox have almost 2% traffic each.
- Internet Explorer has less than one per cent traffic.
Top 5 Monthly Online Content Activities of UAE Users (16 – 64 yrs)
- 95.60% of Emiratis in the age group of 16 to 64 watch videos online.
- 65.10% users in the group stream music online.
- 54.70% people in this age group watch vlogs.
- 47.40% listen to online radio stations.
- 40.10% of the group listen to or watch podcasts.
The UAE is one of the countries that has the highest internet penetration rate. We saw that the country has high internet speeds, and most of its citizens are active users. When the pandemic forced everything to go online, the UAE was fast to adapt to changing trends. While more than 99% of the Emiratis are internet users in 2021, let’s look forward to how the internet will be an influence in the coming years.